Hey everybody and welcome to my NASM study hub. The page includes a NASM practice test (with answer key!), NASM study guide, NASM flashcards and a must-watch video that talks about the top 10 secrets to passing the NASM CPT. I recommend that you bookmark this page.
If you have not signed up for NASM CPT, sign up here to save 25% with my personal code PTP25.
Also, make sure to check out the team over at Trainer Academy. They produce the best NASM study materials, will reduce your study time by 50% and even provided an exam pass guarantee. I even have a special limited-time discount for my readers on their website. If you want to know more about them, check out my detailed review on Trainer Academy here.
Get the NASM exam cheat sheet for free here. Courtesy of Trainer Academy.
The menu at the top of this page will answer any question related to personal training that you have. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to leave me a comment here (I’ll respond within 24 hours). Also, visit the home page for the most recent and popular articles.
Intro to the NASM CPT Study Materials
My Bitmoji counterpart will be walking you through the NASM study guide to make sure that you are on track for passing the NASM exam. Say hello to Tyler-Moji.
If you are undecided on which personal trainer certification to choose, I suggest you take the quiz to find out which Cert is the best fit for you.
This study guide covers the most recent volume of the textbook: NASM Essentials of Personal Fitness Training 6th Edition.
This page contains links to the study guide for each chapter in the NASM textbook, a NASM practice test as well as a full NASM flashcards bundle.
On top of this, each individual chapter has it’s own practice quiz and its own NASM flashcard study bundle for that particular chapter. I also have a full ACE CPT study guide/practice test. Let’s get studying! 🤓
Top 10 secrets for passing the NASM CPT Exam (Video)
FREE NASM CPT study guide: 7th and 6th Edition 2021
There are two current valid versions to use for studying. The newest edition is the 7th in 2021. This is the one you are using if you are logged on to the NASM study portal. The 6th edition, while dated, is still valid for use with the exam. We have separate guides, so make sure to choose the one that coincides with your book.
NASM 7th Edition CPT Study Guide
- Chapter 1: The Modern State of Health and Fitness
- Chapter 2: The Personal Training Profession
- Chapter 3: Psychology of Exercise
- Chapter 4: Behavioral Coaching
- Chapter 5: The Nervous, Skeletal, and Muscular Systems
- Chapter 6: The Cardiorespiratory, Endocrine, and Digestive Systems
- Chapter 7: Human Movement Science
- Chapter 8: Exercise Metabolism and Bioenergetics
- Chapter 9: Nutrition
- Chapter 10: Supplementation
- Chapter 11: Health, Wellness, and Fitness Assessments
- Chapter 12: Posture, Movement, and Performance Assessments
- Chapter 13: Integrated Training and the OPT Model
- Chapter 14: Flexibility Training Concepts
- Chapter 15: Cardiorespiratory Training Concepts
- Chapter 16: Core Training Concepts
- Chapter 17: Balance Training Concepts
- Chapter 18: Plyometric (Reactive) Training Concepts
- Chapter 19: Speed, Agility, and Quickness Training Concepts
- Chapter 20: Resistance Training Concepts
- Chapter 21: The Optimum Performance Training Model
- Chapter 22: Introduction to Exercise Modalities
- Chapter 23: Chronic Health Conditions and Special Populations
NASM 6th Edition Study Guide
- Chapter 1: The Scientific Rationale for Integrated Training
- Chapter 2: The Basics of Exercise Science
- Chapter 3: The Cardiorespiratory System
- Chapter 4: Exercise metabolism and bioenergetics
- Chapter 5: Human movement science
- Chapter 6: Fitness assessment
- Chapter 7: Flexibility training concepts
- Chapter 8: Cardiorespiratory fitness training
- Chapter 9: Core training concepts
- Chapter 10: Balance training concepts
- Chapter 11: Plyometric (reactive) training concepts
- Chapter 12: Speed, Agility, and Quickness training
- Chapter 13: Assessments, Training concepts, and Program design
- Chapter 14: Integrated program design and the optimum performance training model (OPT)
- Chapter 15: Introduction to exercise modalities
- Chapter 16: Chronic health conditions and physical or functional limitations
- Chapter 17: Nutrition
- Chapter 18: Supplementation
- Chapter 19: Lifestyle modification and behavioral coaching
- Chapter 20: Developing a successful personal training business
FREE NASM Practice Test: 7th Edition 2021
This test is formatted the same way as the real test, with the questions (and their relative % on the test) coming from the following sections.
The Sixth Edition is broken up in this order:
- Domain 1: Basic and applied sciences in nutritional concepts (15%)
- Domain 2: Assessment (16%)
- Domain 3: Program design (20%)
- Domain 4: Exercise technique and training instruction (24%)
- Domain 5: Client relations in behavioral coaching (15%)
- Domain 6: Professional development and responsibility (10%)
The Seventh Edition is broken up in this order:
- Domain 1: Professional development and responsibility (10%)
- Domain 2: Client relations in behavioral coaching (15%)
- Domain 3: Basic and applied sciences in nutritional concepts (15%)
- Domain 4: Assessment (16%)
- Domain 5: Exercise technique and training instruction (24%)
- Domain 6: Program design (20%)
NASM Practice Tests Answers below ⬇️ (Don’t Peek Until After!) 🙄
NASM Flashcards for 6th Edition Textbook
The NASM flashcards below contains 130 flashcards from all 20 chapters of the free NASM study guide above. You can either study them right off the bat or come back to them after you have finished all 20 chapters of the study guide. If you would like to study flashcards for a particular chapter, go to that particular chapters study guide (links above) and you will find flashcards at the bottom of each chapter.
NASM study tips
The NASM study guide on this page is meant to complement the full sixth or seventh edition textbook from NASM. It is not meant to be studied by itself without the primary textbook and I provide specific references to tables/specific pages of the textbook throughout the guide to point you in the right direction for studying. To download the tips from the video above in PDF form, click here.
If you are still are not sure whether or not NASM is the right certification for you, I recommend Take the quiz to find which certification best fits your training style.
Another NASM Study Guide
The NASM study guide that I have on this page is a great place to start while studying for the National Academy of sports medicine exam. That being said, this study guide does not really pinpoint exactly what you need to study in order to pass the NASM exam. It basically goes over everything, but in general, is slightly disorganized compared to other high-grade study guides out there. If you want a study guide that points out exactly what is needed to pass the exam, I suggest checking out the Trainer Academy study guide. Check out my review on Trainer Academy right here.
More NASM Practice Tests
The NASM practice test on this page only includes 50 questions and answers. If you want to get a full grasp of all of the possible questions that can be asked on the exam, I suggest picking up additional practice tests as well. These are incredibly important because they really let you know if you are fully prepared to take the real final exam. I know tons of students I have failed income to me asking me why. The biggest reason is that they did not take enough practice exams in order to gauge if they were really prepared or not. I suggest the Trainer Academy practice tests as they let you know which chapters/domains you are doing good or bad in and they have over 800 questions in total.
NASM Smart Flashcards
Using smart flashcards or spaced repetition flashcards are one of the biggest tips I have to my students that are studying for NASM. Spaced repetition flashcards are basically flashcards that use an algorithm in order to show you the most important cards for you. That system works like this: The intelligent flashcards learn which cards are difficult for you as well as which cards are hard for you to memorize. It will then repeatedly show you the difficult cards until they become easier and easier. On the other hand, easy cards will be shown less and less because you already have them memorized. This is a huge timesaver overall and will dramatically decrease the overall study time for the NASM exam.
NASM Memorization Mnemonics
Fun, interesting and memorable mnemonics are one of the other great NASM study tips I have for my students. Memorizing difficult topics such as the overhead squat assessment can be extremely tiresome and difficult to memorize. Creating interesting and fun mnemonics is the best way to go about memorizing these difficult concepts. Is especially very helpful for the underactive and overactive muscles of the postural assessments. If you are going to create these mnemonics yourselves, try to make them as weird as you possibly can. The weirder the better!
If you want a NASM pass guarantee, check out the team over at Trainer Academy. They offer study material such as a fantastic study guide, five full practice tests, spaced repetition flashcards study, study mnemonics, muscle coloring books, Study blueprints, and study cheat sheets.