If you have not yet signed up for the ACE CPT certification, receive a big discount here.
Get your copy of the ACE CPT exam cheat sheet. It helps immensely for studying for the exam.
Make sure to check out Trainer Academy for premium ACE CPT study materials. They will reduce study time by 50% and have an exam pass guarantee. Read my full review on them here. You can save $100 on their MVP study system with the code: PTPSUB
1: Motivation for exercising
Intrinsic motivation: This is where a person truly gets pleasure from working out and exercising. This will increase adherence because of the emotions and pleasure one gets from working out.
Extrinsic motivation: This is where someone is motivated to see the results/benefits of exercise but does not actually like doing it. Some benefits are living a healthier lifestyle, to look good, to lose weight. This is where a feeling of guilt or pressure motivates them to start exercising instead of actually enjoying exercising.
Self-efficacy: This is the belief in your own capability to partake in an exercise program.
2: Keeping client motivation
Social support: This is having a network of friends, family, work buddies or any other person close in your life that will support exercise and fitness. These people can help prevent the person from returning to unhealthy/inactive lifestyle choices.
Exclusive PTP CPT Offers
|Gold Standard Cert||Most Popular Cert||Best Study Materials
|A Good Option||A Good Option||Best CPT for you?
1: Creating a social support system: strategies
- Looking for and finding a good workout partner
- Questioning your family and friends so that they can be encouraging and so that they can remind you of appointments and goals.
- Start some “fun” exercise contests
- Incorporate friends and family to increase the social aspect of exercise
- Find a type of exercise that is enjoyable for you
2: Combating negative/bad social influences
- Spend more time with positive and supportive individuals then negative unsupportive ones
- Give yourself time limits that you can spend with these negative people
- Prepare yourself mentally
- Do a mental review
- Explain to your close ones why fitness and exercise is important for you
- This is being straightforward and honest when expressing your beliefs, feelings, and thoughts.
- This is where you teach your clients how to take their own behavior under control instead of you always doing it for them.
5: Situations that are high risk
- This is where you teach your client how to deal with plateaus, relapses and how to have a plan for them when they happen. They need education and coping strategies.
3: Influences on participation and adherence
1: Personal attributes
- Variables in demographics, history of activity, psychological traits, health status, beliefs, attitudes, and knowledge.
- The locus of control: This is the belief that one has personal control of their health and its outcome.
2: Environmental factors
- The ability to access training facilities
- Having enough time
- Having social support
3: Factors for physical activity
- Intensity: Many times routine can be too intense, causing the client to drop off altogether.
- Experiencing injury
- Extrinsic feedback: This is feedback that the trainer, family members or friends give a client. This can include correcting errors, forms of encouragement and reinforcement.
- Intrinsic feedback: This is how your client feels with their own senses (what they see, hear and feel).
- Knowledge of results: This provides progress information.
5: A trainer’s leadership qualities
- Professionalism: Keeping themselves clean, neat, hygienic, non-threatening, prepared and punctual.
- Being credible and trustworthy.
- Shows the ability to listen.
- Shows excitement for their profession.
- Continually showing that they care for their clients.
- That they take the time to see the life experiences of a client through their eyes. Being compassionate.
6: Things a trainer can do to improve adherence
- Great program design.
- Maintaining clarity on their role.
- Setting goals: Avoiding negative goals or too many goals. Setting long-term and short-term goals. Revisiting goals regularly.
- Organizing agreements and contracts.
If you want additional study materials, check out the team over at Trainer Academy. They have incredible study materials for ACE And I have a special limited-time discount for my readers. I also suggest you check out my review on Trainer Academy here.