ACE study guide, ACE practice test/quiz and ACE flashcards for chapter 1.
The benefits of exercising
- An overall lowered risk of diseases for all age ranges.
- Getting at least 150 minutes of exercise per week (at moderate intensity) to receive these benefits.
Health and fitness professionals
- Credentialed individuals that are trained to prevent, identify and treat disorders and diseases.
- These include nurses, physicians, alternative healthcare, coaches, trainers, instructors, nutritionists, and rehabilitation professionals.
The scope of practice for a personal trainer
What a personal trainer can and cannot do (referred to tables 1-2 as well as 1-3 in manual)
What they cannot do: Personal trainers are not allowed to prescribe, diagnose or treat diseases. We are also not able to prescribe diets, counsel or rehabilitate clients.
Personal training referral network
- Smoking cessation groups and programs
- Mind and body instructors
- Various support groups
- Massage therapists
- Aquatic exercise programs
- Choose my plate for nutrition and supplements
- Dietary guidelines for nutrition and supplements
Improving your value as a personal trainer
- Consistently improving your education through continuing education
- Working on more advanced knowledge, specializations
- Pursuing a degree in exercise science or kinesiology
- Obtaining additional certifications
- Other areas of knowledge in the Allied healthcare realm