Health products are booming across the country and it is a challenge to have any sort of grasp on what is good or bad, which is why this edition is dedicated to Shakeology vs Herbalife dietary supplements. Your health is probably the most important thing in your life. After all, good health helps to bring vitality, functional independence, among other things. However, once your health begins to decline, it can be a downward spiral that can cost your life savings, and then some.
Obesity is a major hot-topic issue among adults in the U.S. and while many see this disease as a mere disease of your looks, it is a gateway condition that can accelerate other diseases that are life threatening. Let’s take a look at what obesity can do to the body and the consequences of such a lifestyle. You can pick up Herbalife here from Amazon as well as shakeology here from the beach body website.
If you decide that shakeology is the right one to go with, getting it through that link will make me your personal beachbody coach. If you are ready have a coach, that are not seeing the results you would like to see, you can switch over to me like this.
Some Serious Health Consequences of Obesity
- Obesity. Obesity is a major issue and it is one of the biggest driving factors for health companies looking to help adults with body weight, including the likes of Shakeology or Herbalife. Obesity is a condition in which there is too much weight on the body, which can be defined in a number of ways. For one, the easiest way that health practitioners assess your body size is through the body mass index, which is simply a comparison of your height and weight and it does not account for muscle mass. Typically you are overweight if your body mass index ranges from 25-30. In order to be considered obese, your body mass index needs to be at least 30, and greater than this and you have categories of obesity. Obesity class I is a body mass index of 30-35, obesity class II is a body mass index of 35-40, and morbid obesity is a body mass index of 40 and higher. In addition to the body mass index, your body fat percentage is another means of measuring for obesity and typically this value is greater than 25 percent for men and 30 percent for women. The body mass index and body fat percentage both have strong associations with some of the most devastating and most common diseases around.
- Heart Disease. Heart disease is the number one killer in the U.S. and it has been for decades. This condition ranges from a large number of serious conditions that affect the heart including hypertensive heart disease, valve disease, and coronary artery disease. While obesity in itself may not be a direct cause of these conditions, it is often a secondary cause of lifestyle that is associated with obesity. A sedentary lifestyle with poor dietary habits can lead to accelerated atherosclerosis, or hardening of your heart’s arteries, which can lead to a heart attack or stroke. Obesity is serious condition that can kill you if left untreated. This brings a large amount of value to products such as Shakeology or Herbalife and they may help to prevent and reverse obesity to help reduce heart disease.
- Cancer. Cancer is the second leading cause of death in the U.S. and worldwide, cancer is a major health problem. This disease includes a wide range of conditions affected the cells in the body and it can often lead to a slow death. Generally, obesity has a link with colon cancer as well as others, and while more research is still needed in this area, it is important to understand that fat can accelerate harmful cell growth. If obesity is something that you struggle with and you have a history of or familial history of cancer then it is important to reduce your body fat to a healthy range to prevent further damage to your life.
- Type II Diabetes. Type II diabetes is a metabolic condition that is strongly associated with obesity. While not every obese person has diabetes and not every person with diabetes is obese, usually the two go together at some point. Typically diabetes is caused by lifestyle habits including a lack of physical activity, ample sedentary patterns, and poor dieting. When diabetes sets in, glucose accumulates in the blood and can cause abnormal blood concentrations. This can lead to nerve problems if left untreated and it could even progress to limb amputation if it persists long enough. Uncontrolled diabetes due to obesity is a dangerous combination that can really cause serious health issues.
- Pulmonary Issues. Obesity has a strong association with sleep apnea and COPD, which is chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder. Sleep apnea is a condition in which you stop breathing at night when sleeping and sometimes the stoppage of breathing can persist for quite some time. While sleep apnea has the ability to be life threatening, it usually is a condition that causes anxiety and a decrease in sleep quantity and quality. Together, these pulmonary issues can cause limitations in your life and they are commonly associated with obesity.
So now that you have some information on obesity, now is time to figure out what you can do to prevent obesity or eliminate it altogether. Physical activity is an important part in prevention and elimination, but this is not the biggest factor in weight loss. Your dietary habits play a major role in weight loss and if you want to prevent or eliminate obesity then you will need to change some part of your diet.
Drastic changes to the diet tend to be ineffective when it comes to keeping a weight loss program, which is why it is important to make small changes. Many people have started to utilize “meal replacement” shakes as a way to decrease caloric load, improve hydration and nutrient status, as well as keep the body feeling full all day long. Two of the most popular and leading brands in meal replacements include the Shakeology vs Herbalife brands. Listed below is a detailed comparison between the two and if you need a little help in determining which is better, consider reading to the end for a concluding topic.
The Differences between the Shakes
- Shakeology. Comparing the costs of Shakeology vs Herbalife is usually one of the first things to do. After all, if the price is right then it could sway your decision. For starters here, Shakeology runs about $130 for a large, 30 scoop serving bag. This turns out to be about $4.33 per scoop, which is a pretty good deal. However, you can become a Beachbody coach for a one-time fee of $40, and then save 25 percent from there out. This means you would pay about $99 for this same bag, which turns to $3.30 per scoop. This is a pretty good deal and if you have some friends who purchase the shakes as well. Consider having them order through you and you all can save 25 percent, not to mention, you get a cut of the sales as well. Check out the current price of shakeology here. I also recommend checking out different shakeology samples that are available.
- Herbalife. The comparison of Shakeology vs Herbalife is a close one. The startup program for Herbalife is about $115 or so, which includes shake mix, multivitamins, Cell Activator proprietary formula, as well as herbal tea concentrate. The startup program is generally recommended for individuals looking to maximize weight loss, but it is not necessarily something you must start with. The shake mix includes 30 servings (which is two scoops) and if you want to simply purchase the mix, it costs anywhere from $40-45 depending on what you get. The startup program is a good value and if Herbalife is the route you take then you will want to spend the extra to get the best results. Check out the current price of herbalife here on amazon.
- Shakeology. Obesity is a big reason why people have shifted towards these shake options. However, one of the biggest benefits of these brands is the calories offered per serving. Shakeology is a low-calorie meal replacement option that only contains about 160 calories per scoop. If you use your meal replacement for lunch time, which tends to be the worst meal of the day for most people, then you should notice a huge difference. Most lunch options include burgers, fries, “healthy” wraps or sandwiches, or other non-healthy options that run up the calories. In addition, some “healthy” salads you eat at restaurants may be overloaded with calories due to heavy dressing, additions to the salad, and protein options. For this alone, a 160 calorie meal replacement for lunch can really cause a caloric deficit in a hurry, which could lead to fast results.
- Herbalife. The Shakeology vs Herbalife comparison is neck and neck, but Herbalife contains slightly fewer calories in a serving. A two-scoop serving of Herbalife contains only 90 calories, which is similar to other shake options out there. While the low calories in this shake are good at creating a caloric deficit, the additional calories in the Shakeology shake helps to keep you feeling full longer. The calories per serving in Herbalife are great because you can add two scoops to other smoothie recipes that you love, and it won’t tack on the calories in a hurry. Consider the Herbalife option if you like the low-calorie option or if you plan to add it to other recipes.
- Shakeology. In order to be a complete meal replacement that keeps you feeling full for a long time, it is important to compare the macronutrients (macros) between the Shakeology vs Herbalife brands. For starters, the Shakeology contains a well-balanced macro profile, meaning there is not an overwhelming amount of one macro over another. Shakeology contains only about one to two grams of fat, of which they come from healthy sources such as chia and flax. The Shakeology carbohydrate amount varies depending on your flavor type, but the chocolate flavored Shakeology contains about 17 grams of carbs, including three grams of fiber and nine grams of sugars. There has been a little concern over the sugar content in Shakeology, but nine grams is sufficient to sweeten the drink without having to overload the shake with artificial sweeteners. Lastly, Shakeology contains about 17 grams of protein, which is a major factor in keeping you feeling full throughout the day. Overall, the Shakeology option is a well-balanced option for your nutrition and it really makes for a healthy meal replacement. Check out my full article on the shakeology the ingredients and benefits.
- Herbalife. You may notice some close similarities between the Shakeology vs Herbalife macro content. The Herbalife shake only has one gram of fat and this too comes from healthy sources. The total carbohydrates in Herbalife are very similar to that of Shakeology, with Herbalife containing 13 grams of carbs per serving. The carbohydrates include three grams of fiber, which is identical to Shakeology in addition to nine grams of sugar, which is also identical to Shakeology. Many people argue that the sugar content in these shakes are too much for weight loss, but this is a healthy blend without having to add too much artificial sweeteners. Lastly, Herbalife contains nine grams of protein per serving, which is less than Shakeology.
- Shakeology. Shakeology by far contains more nutrients between the Shakeology vs Herbalife. This is not necessarily a good thing, as too many nutrients can lead to them being eliminated when you void. Shakeology contains many of the same vitamins and minerals you can get from a multivitamin, but the difference in this shake brand is that it contains digestive enzymes and probiotics and prebiotics to improve your gut health. In addition to having digestive benefits, Shakeology also contains decaffeinated green tea extract, which can help to promote weight loss. The Shakeology option contains a lot of nutrients, which are added into the shake blend.
- Herbalife. In comparison to Shakeology, Herbalife contains some vitamins and minerals, but only a fraction. This is efficient for your wallet, as you do not pay for extra nutrients that your body cannot absorb. In addition, Herbalife has multivitamins for you to purchase to add to your nutrient profile, so take this into consideration as well. The one thing that sticks out in Herbalife shakes is that it contains potassium. Potassium is a vital nutrient that we do not get enough of and it plays a major role in your heart beat conduction as well as hydration status. Overall, the Herbalife option is a good mix of nutrients without going overboard and the kicker here is the addition of potassium in each serving.
Making the Case for Shakeology vs Herbalife
- Shakeology. Based on the information presented here today, it may be a hard decision when it comes time to making your weight loss program selection. Shakeology contains quite a bit of perks that can successfully help you to lose weight, feel amazing, and feel energized, but it is slightly more expensive than Herbalife. However, Shakeology is one of the best options when it comes to ingredient quality, which is why it has gained such popularity recently. The whole ingredients are not designed to trick your body into thinking that you are consuming something artificial, rather it is a smart way to allow your brain to taste some sugar, or fruit, or something sweet without having a craving. The price per serving is $4.33, but can be reduced to $3.30 if you become a Beachbody coach. Consider the Shakeology option if you don’t want to waste your time and money on a product, because this is a proven system. If you feel like shakeology is right for you, you can purchase it here (it will also make me your personal beach body coach). They also offer sample packages that you can purchase before purchasing one big bag. Shakeology was designed to go perfectly with one of their many different workout programs available. Hundreds of thousands of people have seen great results with combining the two.
- Herbalife. There are many cases to be made for Herbalife. For starters, Herbalife is vastly less expensive than Shakeology, but this is only if you purchase the shakes. The starter’s program is $115 and the advanced program is even more, so close attention and thought must be utilized with this. In addition to cost, Herbalife contains a balanced nutrient outlook, but it contains about half of what Shakeology offers. Nine grams of protein in a shake is a decent amount to help keep you full for some period of time, but one must ask how long fullness lasts. In comparison to Shakeology, this could be a deal breaker because the entire purpose of the meal replacement is to stay full for a long time so you do not overconsume calories in your day. A major perk to Herbalife is that it contains potassium, which is important for your heart’s conduction system and for your hydration status. You should consider Herbalife if you want a popular brand shake that is less expensive, but overall, the Shakeology shake has the upper hand in nutrition and may help you to lose weight at a better pace. If you feel like herbalife better fits what you are looking for, you can purchase it here from Amazon.
Tyler Read has a Masters of Science in Kinesiology. Tyler is also a certified personal trainer with NASM, ACE, NSCA and NSCA CSCS. Tyler’s main goal is to help people get started in the personal training industry and to become successful personal trainers.